The past couple weeks (in between work, a little gardening, and some family time), I’ve been designing, cutting, sewing, and trimming half-square triangles for a quilt that I’ve now regretfully decided to hide away indefinitely. Here’s how it went down:
Inspiration struck! So I dragged my surprisingly agreeable man with me to Fancy Tiger to help hold bolts of fabric while I strolled along the shelves looking for the perfect prints (dinner was my treat that night so don’t feel too bad for him). My idea was to make something colorful, with pops of black and white here and there, using Kona coal as the background fabric so the colors contrasted against the dark grey. I picked yellows, pinks, greens and corals. I then took to Photoshop to make a great design, and the project took shape. I cut and sewed all 120 HST’s for the quilt, then realized as I began arranging the squares that the coral was all wrong. The values were wrong, it looked wrong with the pinks, it just wasn’t working. I grudgingly took the corals out of the design and started thinking of Plan B.
Back to Fancy Tiger (this time, by myself—I was a woman on a mission). I needed a color to replace the corals. Blue seemed like my best bet, so I found a nice batch that I imagined would be the deal-makers. Here we go. I’ve got blue, pink, green and yellow. The yellow and blue would pair well together, as would the pink and green –I could incorporate these pairings into the design.
I went home, cut my blue fabric, sewed the half-square triangles, placed this stack next to my other color stacks and thought enthusiastically that this would be the answer. “Okay,” I thought, “I think it’s safe to trim these up.”
120 HST’s later, the project is now scraps. Mojo-less. A quilt abandoned.
I trimmed and trimmed (120 HST’s isn’t that many compared to some of the 500-count projects I’ve seen, but it’s still no picnic). Took all my perfectly square HST’s back to the design board and could not find a single arrangement of the colors that I liked. Not one. Shield your eyes from this next photo if you don’t wish to endure the dullness of the color scheme.
I wanted the quilt to be modern and colorful, and for the color combinations to be something an adult woman would like (I can’t give away much else about the possible recipient, but know that I’m very disappointed she won’t be getting a quilt this year). I love these prints individually, but there’s something about the way everything looked together that wasn’t “brightly colorful adult mod” enough for me. It looks a little childish, a little amateurish, and a lot uninspiring.
Rather than wasting time overexposing myself to such a lackluster project, I’ve decided to cut my losses and move on. I have so little time for crafting as it is, and don’t want to waste any of it on something I don’t love. Plus, I think my continued manipulation of the design of this quilt will not be doing it any favors. Maybe in a few months I’ll pick it back up, take out all the colors except yellow, and make this:
For now, though, I’ve had too large a helping of this “quilt to nowhere” and will revisit when I’m more inspired. Or maybe I won’t revisit it at all. Don’t judge me.
Anyway, I’ll finish with an upswing. All of the dullness above is nothing a little—AHEM—Flea Market Fancy can’t fix! Enjoy the eye candy and have a great week!